Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Don't Pull Me Down, Bro!

I like my job.  I do.  But it's not without it's challenges.  One is that our manager is not very strong.  This creates an environment where many workers just kind of do their own thing.  While theoretically there is a uniform way of doing things, in practice, many employees just do things their own way.  There's no sense of discipline.

Some workers work really hard and do their jobs very well.  Others slack off and put forth as little effort as possible.  There seem to be no consequences for doing so.

The other day I was talking to one of the "slackers" and another worker who is a good worker.  I mentioned to the good worker that I liked the job and was talking about some of the positive aspects of it.  The slacker said, "Let's see if you feel that way in a year."

I refuse.  I refuse to let the cynics and pessimists pull me down.  I will continue to do the best job I am capable of doing and have the best attitude I can.  If I can, I want to raise people up rather than let others drag me down.  If others want to slack off and complain, that's their prerogative; but that doesn't mean I have to be that way.


Attitude is everything.  It is sometimes frustrating to work with others who don't pull their weight or who hate their job, but that doesn't mean I have to be like them.  I just refuse to do so.

There, I've said it!

It's like Jonah often says, "You can either choose to wallow in the mud or you can get up, grab some water, and wash yourself off."


No comments: