Monday, December 23, 2013

The Tide Continues To Turn

Twenty-three years ago I was a very scared, closeted, confused young man living in a small and very conservative college town in central Utah.  At that time I felt so very alone and misunderstood and never could have imagined in my wildest dreams that twenty-three years later gay couples would actually be getting married anywhere at all, let alone Utah.

I realize the legality of gay marriage may be a temporary thing until everything is sorted out in the courts, but as I have said previously in this blog, this rolling stone can't be stopped.  Legalized gay marriage in every state in the United States is inevitable, and I think the situation in Utah will have an eventual positive effect on the legality of gay marriage everywhere in the U.S.

Even if the advent of gay marriage in Utah is a short-lived celebration, I believe it will lead to a much longer lasting celebration of gay marriage as a normal form of marriage.  One day our descendants will wonder what all the fuss was even about.

The fight for equality is happening around us every day.  What an exciting time to be alive.  My 19 year-old self could never have imagined we'd be where we are today and he certainly couldn't have known how happy he would be to be just be true to himself.

Yea!

No comments: