Saturday, July 03, 2010

Happy and Satisfied

A little more than two years ago I wrote the following in my blog post:

"Recently my mom put a photo of my sister and her fiance on our piano in the living room. That's where many of the family photos go. There are several photos of my older brother and his family and ones of my older sister and her family. And now there is one of my youngest sister and her soon-to-be husband. But there are none of me and Jonah. My mom loves Jonah a lot and she also loves me a lot, and I don't expect her to put a photo of us on the piano because I know it would be awkward for her to explain to visitors about us, and I don't want to put her in that position."

At the time I wrote that, it made me sad that my relationship was not getting the same kind of recognition my then-engaged sister was getting. That wasn't necessarily anybody's fault. It's just what it was.

I'm happy to say that now my mom has plenty of photos of Jonah, me, and our cats around the house. I recently gave her a couple of framed photos from our wedding, and she has prominently displayed them. I am able to talk freely about my relationship and my sexuality with anyone in my family, and it's a wonderful feeling that everyone accepts it and loves Jonah like they love me.



Happy days indeed!

1 comment:

JonJon said...

That's fantastic. :)