Friday, January 21, 2011

Glee-ful

Let me start off by saying that I don't watch "Glee." I saw the first two episodes, and just didn't care for the writing. I found it cheesy, and the characters seemed two-dimensional and unrealistic to me. Perhaps that has changed as the show has developed and evolved. Needless to say, it did not hook me like it has so many other people. It seems like a show I should like. After all, I like music and musicals and good a capella groups. I've seen a couple of clips from it, but it just hasn't grabbed me.

That being said, I have a lot of friends who watch it, and I read Entertainment Weekly regularly enough to know who some of the main characters are and even some plotlines.

It warmed my heart today to see the following Entertainment Weekly cover in my mailbox today:



I just thought it was very touching and affirming of who gay people are and can be.

I wrote about this recently here, but when I was growing up, it was hard to find gay characters on TV at all, let alone ones that actually made you feel good about being gay. While I understand it is still difficult to address and accept one's sexuality, I feel very grateful and comforted that a struggling gay kid today can so easily see gay characters portrayed so positively on a television show or look at a cover like this on a newstand and see that being who they are is not a bad thing at all.

Kurt and Blaine (I think those are their names) look so normal and content, and it fills my heart with love and appreciation that impressionable gay people can see an image like this and know that they can be fine and that they can have something to look forward to.

The accompanying article was good, too.

2 comments:

Clive Durham said...

I'm a glee fan. The music is great, the comedy leaves me laughing, and the drama touches my heart. All that said, the thing I love most about this show is just what you've pointed out so clearly. Glee gives kids (and adults, too) positive roll models of gay people. To me positive impressions on this show and in others will eventually help break down misperceptions that are the basis of ignorance, intolerance and bigotry.

Sara said...

I know what you mean about Glee. It SOOOO should be my thing, and somehow just isn't. I just can't get sucked in, though the performances are so good, the music is innovative, the satire is fun...and yet...

How about Willow and Tara from Buffy?