Thursday, July 04, 2013

The Supreme Court Decision

I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to take a moment to talk about the recent Supreme Court decision regarding DOMA and Prop 8.  I've been a bit preoccupied this past week, but when Jonah woke me up on June 26 and played the news on his smart phone. 

I couldn't believe it.  Especially after their decision on the Voting Rights Act, I wasn't sure they would make the right decision regarding DOMA and Prop 8.  I was overjoyed by the decision, not that it immediately affects me now.  I live in a state where gay marriage is not yet legal.  But it will be...one day. 

I've talked about this before; this rolling stone can't be stopped.  It's only a matter of time.  And I am excited.  What a great time to be living.  25 years ago when I was buried deep in the closet, I never could have imagined the gay marriage would be legal or accepted anywhere.  I never could have imagined that a person could live freely and proudly as a gay person, let alone that that person could be me.

I was also pleased to see very few negative remarks about the decision from friends on Facebook.

Jonah and I will be legally married and will get those rights that have thus far been limited to just heterosexually married couples.  I do not know when, but I believe it is within reach, and I am thrilled.

Long live equality!

No comments: