Saturday, March 03, 2012

End Of An Era

Last Sunday my former Stake President was released. I have written about him many times here, here, here, and here, among others. He is a really good man and a good friend, and when it comes to the issue of homosexuality, he has grown a lot since he first became my bishop in my singles' ward many years ago.

He's been the Stake President in my old ward for a long, long time. It's weird to think he won't be the Stake leader anymore, and I'm sure it will be an adjustment for him, too.

I called him to thank him for his years of service and for all he ever did to help and support me. I told him I still consider him a good friend. I think he was touched by my call and admitted that his release was "bittersweet."

The new stake presidency consists of a man whose name I did not immediately recognize, my former Stake President's former executive secretary, and my old bishop (a man I have also written about a lot and who I love very much). I think it will be a good group of men.

My former Stake President said after he was released, he had given his keys to the new guy and inadvertently got locked out of the Stake Center. I thought that was both humorous and weirdly metaphorical.

I have nothing but good to say about my former Stake President. He is a good man who I really believe did the best he could in what I'm sure is a very difficult job. I hold him in very high esteem, and I hope whatever is next in his journey will be happy and fulfilling. We plan to get together when I am back in Utah, but this time just as two friends. I think I will like that very much.

No comments: